What Are LSI Keywords
In the digital world, content is king. As such, care should be taken to utilize carefully crafted content in order to propel your business forward.
Google, as well as other search engines, utilize latent semantic indexing in order to better understand the content of your pages, the topical relevancy of a page and the weight or importance to give certain keywords on your page(s).
By doing so, Google and other search engines can determine what your page is about and which users it or search queries it might be a benefit for.
When done properly, the signal created would be viewed as a “positive signal” for search engines like Google. However, there is such a thing as too many keywords or using the same keyword too many times within the content – this is known as “keyword stuffing”. This can lead to a negative signal and potential for a penalty. This is when Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI) comes into action and is important for your strategy.
What is LSI?
By definition, LSI is a mathematical method which is used in order to determine the correlation between terms and concepts within the content. LSI will look for synonyms and conceptually related topics and keywords that are related to the overall topic of the page.
For example, if the topic of the page is “Handmade Sweaters”, the search engine crawling the content will expect to find words that relate to this topic. In search engine optimization (SEO), keywords utilized in your content, and on your website, will help search engines to better understand the content you have published and how relevant it might be to users for certain search queries.
This understanding will help drive targeted traffic to your website, providing the end user with the content they were seeking, and your business with prospective customers.
For example, the keyword phrase “Fat Loss” would include LSI phrases such as:
- Weight loss
- And many more….
You see, while not direct synonyms of the primary keyword phrase, they are all conceptually relevant to the overall topic of “fat loss”.
How to Make LSI Work for Your Business
LSI can be strategically used to boost the authority and relevancy scores of your pages as it relates to Google and other search engines, as well as aiding you in siphoning in traffic from long-tail related keywords.
Content that uses LSI effectively may benefit from:
- Greater keyword variations (thus showing up for more search terms in Google)
- Higher relevancy scoring from mentioning of topically relevant keywords
- Improved authority by offering up a broad and comprehensive coverage of the overall topic
How to begin:
- Pick a keyword for your content and craft this into a compelling title for your content piece
- Use that primary keyword to come up with a range of synonyms of the keyword. For example, if your content is about “Red Widgets” you may also want to include “Widget” (singular), small widgets, plastic widgets, etc.
- Next, bust out the old thesaurus and find words related to but not direct synonyms of the keyword. For example, the words “search engine optimization” are also related to: digital marketing, online marketing, advertising, promotion, etc
- Use keywords from step 2 and 3 as sub-topics within your content piece and sprinkle them throughout your article naturally where applicable
If you’re looking for search engine optimized content that both engages and connects with your audience, give us a call today. Our content writers are highly trained at optimizing your pages for both basic and advanced SEO and can naturally incorporate LSI strategies and components into both existing and new content pieces for your website.