What is Google My Business Optimization?
When it comes to “search” Google is king. And when it comes to business, nothing drives more traffic, clicks and calls to local businesses than “local search.”
In fact, over 70% of all purchase decisions (online and offline) are first influenced by a search engine query. Sound crazy? It sure does, but the numbers back it up.
In fact, a recent BrightLocal research survey of small businesses uncovered that over 34% of SMB owners, when tasked with choosing only ONE marketing channel for their business, would opt for local search.
What the heck is local search anyway?
Local search results are those search engine results that are customized for the end user based up on their geographic location. For example, if you search for “plumbers” Google will show you those plumbers that are local to your zip code first.
So as a business owner what’s the best way to take advantage of these “localized” search results? With a “Google my Business” listing of course!
What is “Google My Business”?
Google My Business is a melding of Google Maps, Google Plus, Google Places and Google Search all wrapped up into a singular “master” dashboard.
If all that sounds like a bit “much” or moderately confusing, you’re not alone. But don’t worry, we’re here to help sort things out for you.
First, why is claiming and optimizing your Google My Business listing important?
You do want to show up in search engines when your customers look for your services right? Right, we thought so. In that case, Google My Business Listings will be vitally important to helping boost your SEO and gain visibility where and when your customers are looking for you.
GMB (Google My Business) listings send a strong indication, or signal if you will, to Google that your business is active, maintained and supported.
Further, the “Google Map Pack” is populated by those businesses that have a GMB listing. The better optimized, accurate and active your listing is, the greater the probability that you’ll show up for targeted search terms locally.
Ok, great, but how do I Optimize this thing?
Now you’re talking our language! GMB might be a “free” tool, but that doesn’t mean you can set and forget it. Quite the opposite.
In order to get the most benefit from your GMB listing you’ll need to optimize and maintain it.
Basic GMB Optimization Techniques:
Step 1- CLAIM YOUR LISTING!!!
- Ensure the associated phone number is a LOCAL number
- Make sure the phone number in your listing MATCHES that on your website
- Use the actual business name
- Select the proper category for your business
- Ensure that your details are up to date
- Use high resolution images that accurately reflect your business
- Double check that no-one else has tried to make or edit your listing
Once the basics are out of the way you can move on to more advanced GMB optimization techniques.
Advanced GMB Optimization Techniques
Once you’ve got some solid content, a good link profile and citations, its time to take things up a notch…
- Upgrade your logo to something that draws attention and clicks
- Post on social media or run ads during times of the day with high traffic and engagement
- Solicit and encourage local reviews and social “check ins” from your customers
- Encourage and make it easy for visitors to upload photos of your business
- Build or hire an agency to build high quality relevant local citations
- Consider hiring a photographer to tour your business and post images that expose a more personal side of your operations to better connect with your audience.
Get off the fence!!!
If you’ve been unsure of how GMB listing can help improve your business, its time to stop considering and start taking action. Whether via DIY or by hiring a firm like ours to assist, there’s no time like the present to start building up your local profile.
Still not sure where to start? Give us a call today and we’ll help.
Salterra Web Services Specializes in Web Design, Internet Marketing, Search Engine Optimization, Hosting, Software Development, and Graphics. We also have a division that removes website malware, and maintains virus protection and the removal of malicious software. We founded the company in 2010. We are centrally located in Tempe, Arizona, but we have clients all over the world.